Dec 16, 2007

The Talk

Since I had to call brother #1 in regards to Christmas, I took the opportunity to tell him that he and my other brother need to step up and help out with the parents. His response to me: "I have a life, house and a family, and my own sh*t to do. Don't get on my @ss about it." To which I responded, my sister and I have our own lives also and homes of our own. He tried to justify his response by telling me that I had a house in town. What the hell! It doesn't matter where my house is, I still have to clean the driveway, go to work, and pay my bills. Yet my sister and I still *make* time to help our parents.

To his credit, he did drive over to my parents and plow their driveway this morning. However, he made a point of telling it to me this way: "I drove 20miles out of my way to plow their driveway." I'm thinking that the ONLY reason he went over there is because it was my Mom's birthday 2 days ago and he took her a card.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you drove *how* many miles and gave up entire DAYS to take your dad to the doctor?

It's apparent to me that for whatever reason, that particular brother at least is a selfish bleep who has yet to figure out that he does in fact owe his parents for a heck of a lot. One can only hope that the parents also see this and take it into consideration when the time comes...

stitcherw said...

It's a shame that they won't help out more. Everyone has stuff going on in their lives, but if everyone pitches in then it is easier all the way around. It does seem though that daughters generally seem to do much more of the care and help for their parents as they get older than sons do.

Glad that your neighbors are turning out to be so nice. What a sweetie to help you with your drive. Both of the guys you are seeing also seems to be nice as well.
Sue

Deirdre said...

That is sad! I don't know what else to say.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

It should be an honor to care for ones parents! Shame on him! I would give almost anything to have my mom and would gladly care for her. Or even my dad. I lost my mom when I was 9 and dad has been gone since 2001 when he was only 69. He needs to wise up and realize your parents won't always be there!

Anonymous said...

Since I have full care of my Mom (and my Dad before he passed away) I can fully understand where you are coming from. I have 8 siblings. I can tell you from experience that you won't get all that much from the male family members. Two of my sisters would help more but unfortunately they live 9 hours away.
Good luck trying to get more help from your brother. Let me know what the magic words are when you find them.
Kathy K

Anonymous said...

Ooooo, 20 miles. Big whoop! That's nothing compared to the 2 hour drive you and your sister keep doing to take him to the doctor. Sheesh. Some people are just really self-involved.

glenda said...

Sorry your brother is being such a poop! Men!! hmph.