Apr 18, 2008

Pork Steak Dinner

This was a fly-by-the-seat of my pants dinner. Since Sherry asked for the recipe, I thought I’d share with everyone what I did.


Pork Steak
I’d rather cook my pork steaks on the grill than on the stove. But since weather has been iffy lately and I had a craving for pork steak, I did it in a pan.

All I did was put a little olive oil in a frying pan, seasoned the pork steak on both sides with seasoning. Each time, I grab something different. Time I used a combo made for chicken and pork. It has pepper, mustard seed, red & green bell pepper pieces, onion, sea salt & garlic in it. I cooked it on medium heat around 7-10 minutes on each side, turning once. I don’t like to cook it too long, otherwise it gets dry. (Yes, I know pork has to be cooked really well.) If it’s a little pink after that time, I’ll put it in the microwave for a minute or so. Through trial and error, I’ve found this way it doesn’t get dry and tough.


Basil Carrots
Peel, cut up and put in a glass bowl with a tiny bit of water. Sprinkle with basil. Sometimes, I add a couple of pats of butter/margarine (I was out this time). Cover with plastic wrap, leaving a small opening for steam venting. Microwave about 5 minutes. I’m careful not to microwave my vegetables too long because I like don’t like them mushy and they tend to lose flavor if cooked too long. Sometimes, I’ll do the carrots in a frying pan on the stove with olive oil and/or butter, throwing in garlic and fresh spinach. Yum!


Carmelized Onions
I used the same pan I cooked the steak in (no need to wash it, first). I peeled and sliced up 3 small onions and sautéed them with a little olive oil until they were softened but not overcooked. This is my preference, some people like them really soft.

The entire meal didn’t take long and it was easy.

Upon closing this post, I'm going to show what my spice cabinet looks like:

5 comments:

Mylene said...

Thanks for sharing, might try that sometime.
Have a nice weekend!

Velda said...

oh that looks yummy!!!!

Anonymous said...

so many spices, waw! Must true this sometime. Thanks!

Barb. said...

Hey Meari! You need a magnetic spice rack for sure. Think of all the room you'd save. I love mine and I only have about 18 spices "hung up" so far.

Anonymous said...

I wish my spice cabinet looked that organised. One day... one day.