Apr 2, 2008

Taco Skillet

Hungry?
I tried another new recipe tonight. Taco Skillet. It was really easy and really fast. What do you think?

Kinda looks like Hamburger Helper...LOL (but without all the preservatives) Sorry about the messy stove. What can I say... I'm a messy cook.

Taco Skillet
1 lb. ground beef, browned & drained
1 onion, chopped fine
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1/3 c. water
1 c. salsa
1 c. frozen corn, no need to thaw
6 flour tortillas, cut into 1" pieces
2 c. Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, divided

Reserve 1/2 cheese for topping. Mix everything else in your skillet. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Stir again and top with cheese. Cover and cook 2 minutes, or until cheese melts.


Easy Peasy! Rarely do I make anything that's "involved". Fast, easy, and tasty. That's my motto!

Now that I read over the recipe more carefully, I see I screwed up. LOL I didn't mix in half the cheese, I just put it all on top. And oops.. I forgot to add the water.

Here's what else I did: I used ground turkey instead of beef and added chorizo (because I had it on hand). I roughly chopped the onion. Kitchen shears work well for cutting up the tortillas. No need to be neat, you can't tell when it's all mixed together. I also added dried "green stuff" oO(What's the name of it?). Oh yes... Cilantro!

It makes a lot. I'll be eating Taco Skillet for the rest of the week. Anyone care to join me?

3 comments:

glenda said...

looks yummy. I'll be right over :)

Carol R said...

What time shall I arrive? I'll bring a bottle!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good that I think I'm going to try it. I have a black bean and corn salsa that would be yummo in it and replace the frozen corn, as well. I'll just have to add extra salsa to make up for it. Or add the corn anyway. You know I'd be there for leftovers, if I could. :)