Apr 25, 2011

Mighty Bright LED Floor Light and Magnifier

Let me present my newest acquisition...

LED Floor Light and Magnifier
by Mighty Bright


I saw one of these when I went to the GTG at Welcome Stitchery several weeks back. I got a bit excited when I saw one at Hobby Lobby. I opened the box and tested the magnifier, it didn't seem to distort the object like other magnifiers I'd seen. With 40% off coupon in hand, I snatched up the last remaining box and toted it to the check-out counter.


It has a 24" solid stand with a weighted base, and a 17" flexible neck. In reading reviews about the lamp, several reviewers said they had a difficult time getting the solid stand to stay in the base. I'm thinking it was "operator error" on their part because I had no issue getting it to stay in the base and it doesn't seem top heavy to me.


The 2X magnifier is 5" wide and has a 1" 5X inset. Not sure how helpful that would be, but it's there nonetheless.


There are 12 super-LED bulbs that last up to 100,000 hours. The downside? The bulbs are not replaceable. However... being the numbers person I am, I did a calculation. If the lamp was used 24hrs a day, it would take 11½ years before the bulbs wear out. That's a pretty long time, and no one will use it 24 hours a day. So my guess is that it could last a lifetime.


Two other nice features are: It can be battery-operated for portability. It also has a nice long 6ft AC adapter cord.

My review: I tested it one night by using it to stitch Blossom Splendor. It's 32ct so I didn't really need a magnifier, but the lamp worked really well. Another thing I liked is that I could slide the base under the edge of the sofa if I needed to, in order to get the magnifier closer to my body. I'm itchin' to try it out with 40ct over-two -- I have another ruler to stitch up. Quaker Rule (below) about made me go blind since I didn't have a magnifier.


By using Hobby Lobby's 40% off coupon, you can't get the Mighty Bright Floor Light cheaper anywhere else.

17 comments:

chrisstitches said...

Congrats on the new purchase. Enjoy!

Gabi said...

Great purchase. You will have lots of joy from that purchase. I have a floor lamp too (different one though) and a magnifier and LOVE it.

Nancy in IL said...

I've seen the mailart make a go-round once before, and I thought it was so cool! Had to be hand-stamped at P.O. It's really fun to see yours!

The Mighty Bright lamp is touted by other stitchers. I once had a Dazor that the Mighty Bright reminds me of, but had to replace bulb only once in its twenty five years, but it finally got crippled and had to give it up. I'd really like to find one of these. I looked it up on Amazon, and it was 79.95 - higher on eBay. Congrats on your bargain. I think the light they give is great - I have a couple of their clip-on lights.

Anonymous said...

I like your new lamp. It sounds great. I can't really stitch without a magnifier any more. Great work under the sink. I need to do the same thing.

Tina

Sandy In Montana said...

Thanks for the review on the lamp, Meari. My lamp of 5-6 years crapped out on me a couple of weeks ago, so I'll have to start looking for a replacement.

Take Care & Happy Stitching
Hugs, Sandy

Donna said...

I almost bought one of those but went with something else. I am happy with my purchase, but it is nice to know there is another alternative if this one putters out. Thanks.

Kathy A. said...

Isn't it a wonderful light. I have one too. I use mine for fine stitching - 36 count etc and the light by itself other times. I will give you a little note of caution though. If the lamp is anywhere where there is sunlight make sure to cover the magnifier when not in use.
I know of two people who burned a hole in their sofa/chair from the sunlight reflecting off the magnifier.
Enjoy!

Jo said...

Fantastic bargain, congratulations

Julie M said...

Congrats on your wonderful bargain shopping! Sounds like it was a great investment for you Meari!

valerie said...

Great buy! I've heard a lot of good things about this lamp. You are so lucky to have Hobby Lobby close. There aren't any here but it's a great store!!

Kristin said...

It sounds fabulous. If my Ott Light ever kicks the bucket, I'll look into one.

Ranae said...

Cool purchase! I am sure you will get many hours with it
Your text made my day, very unexpected :)
Thank You!!!

Carolyn NC said...

I bought one like this (floor model in an LNS) a while back. I have misplaced the adapter and can't get any others to fit. Can you either give me the size needed? Thanks! I like mine, too!

Kay said...

Congrats on the new purchase. I could use something like that. Those are some cute pieces of happy mail that you got! Keep up the good work with school, I know it is hard but it will be so worth it in the end.

Katrien said...

congrats on the purchase

Sunshine said...

I have this same one. I got my using a coupon too. We think alike girlfriend.... I've had mine for a couple years now, and really love it.....

Anonymous said...

What a great find and a bargain as well.

Marl