Apr 10, 2017

Marvelous Monday Update 4/10/2017

When I wrote about my latest stash haul, I mentioned listing my Dad's John Deere for sale on Craigslist.  Several of my readers asked if we'd sold it.  Back when I was selling stuff from my parents estate on Facebook, some may remember the frustrations I endured with the idiots trying to get something for nothing bargain shoppers.  My brother was in charge of fielding the buyers for the John Deere since it's his field of expertise.  He experienced first hand the same frustrations I did.  Within hours of listing the tractor, some dude texted... not called... and offered over $1,000.00 less than what we advertised it for.  Didn't ask to come see it or anything.  My brother was PO'd big time and let the guy have it in his text response, lol.  Keep in mind, we were not asking an over-inflated price... it was very fair considering the accessories implements that went with the tractor.  Quite a few inquiries later, a guy showed up to look at it.  My brother agreed to lower the price $150, but the guy tried to scam negotiate a better deal.  Finally, my brother told him that he'd give him gas money to go back home, or he could load it up and take the tractor with him.  Either way, it didn't matter to my brother.  So the guy decided to buy.  SOLD!

TECHNOLOGY R.I.P.
After serving me well for over 7 years, my Plantronics Explorer 390 bluetooth handsfree headset bit the dust.  The port where the charger plugs in came loose and now no longer charges.  I used the crap outta that thing, as you can tell by the photo below.  Rest in Peace my bluetooth gadget.


Since the Plantronics brand has served me well, I bought another one:  Plantronics Explorer 502.  It talks into my ear!  It tells me when it's pairing, if it's successful, how much battery talk time remains, if you have an incoming call, even... all sorts of things.  It even tells you when you need to recharge the headset.  Talk time is 7 hours and standby time is supposedly 6 months between charges.  I can also listen to music with it...the sound quality is pretty good, too.  The 390 couldn't do that.  So cool!

 STITCHY STUFF
I'm participating in the All About Smalls Spring Challenge on Facebook.  The theme is flowers so there has to be at least one flower in the stitched design and has to be finished into a "small" by May 20th.  For the challenge, I chose to stitch up Victorian Pansies Bookmark.  It's a kit by Textile Heritage manufactured in Scotland.


I was really happy to receive this kit as part of a 12 Days of Christmas exchange last year.  Long time readers may remember that I stitched up companion pieces back in 2007 and 2008.

Victorian Pansies Needlebook and Scissor Fob
THEATRE
I recently attended a community theatre production, "Agnes of God".  It's about a court-appointed psychiatrist (Dr. Martha Livingstone) who has to determine the sanity of a young nun accused of murdering her newborn.  Miriam Ruth (Mother Superior) is determined to protect the nun, Agnes, which arouses Livingstone’s suspicions further. Who killed the infant and who fathered the tiny victim? Livingstone’s questions force all three women to re-examine the meaning of  their Catholic faith and the power of love.  I'm not an overly religious person, but this play is disturbing and controversial on so many levels.  The ending was very dramatic and graphic.  The actresses were very good and sucked me in so much that I was having anxiety by the end of the play.  I had a college class with the actress who played Mother Superior.

Until next time...

 

19 comments:

Cricket-bug Corner said...

Yep, people are the worst! I gave a stranger a pattern once and now she comments on all my posts trying to get more. The play sounds intense!! the pansies are beautiful!!

CatsnCorgis said...

Meari....Heh, heh, heh. Poor abused, misunderstood brother. Ah, well, a reality check very seldom hurts, it just educates. I'm glad you were able to sell it.
I saw Agnes of God several years ago. I'm glad it was a good performance. Thought invoking performances can be disturbing. I tell myself it was just a story, just a play. That can be very difficult if the play has drawn you into it!

The pansies are wonderful!

In your last blog, you discussed some items that you purchased on Stash Unload. I need to ask...When they start posting on my FB page, they are already sold. Do you have any tips?

Sally

Katie said...

I was just talking with Jeremiah about people just plain suck. We went to a fun craft type sale Friday. These adult women were acting like it was a crack sale. They were being rude and cutting in line to get in. One lady ran totally into me in the rush to get past me to hurry to get to the next craft booth. I was so shocked. It's crafts! I took a deep breath and reminded myself it wasn't worth getting worked up over. I can't fix stupid people. Then I had a good time. Just had to ignore the idiots. I'm glad you like your new headset. Sounds nice. I love your bookmark. Good luck with it! Definitely will make a gorgeous set when it's finished. I love watching plays. This one definitely sounds interesting.

Anonymous said...

Great update Meari! The pansy bookmark will be beautiful!

Kim

cucki said...

Beautiful post my dear...love the cute bookmark.
Smiles and blessings x

Deb said...

Wel done on selling the John Deere. Selling is such a hassle when people are trying to take advantage.
Great that your update tech is much better.
Love your finishing on your two pansies projects! Stunning!

Anonymous said...

Meari,

The pansy set is just beautiful! What a lovely gift the bookmark will be.

Marina

Sue said...

You have been busy sweetie. Can't wait to see you next month!! Love you. 'Mom'��‍❤️‍������

Carm said...

Love your pansies! One of my favorite flowers. People always try to get something for next to nothing. When it's their turn to sell they will want an arm and a leg,LOL!

Anonymous said...

Great update on your blog and glad you were able to sell the John Deere tractor. Love the pansies.

Marl

Anonymous said...

Hi Meari,

I love reading your blog! You always seem to have so much going on in your life! Over the last 6 months I've almost given up on reading blogs - there's just not enough time in the day! But yours and Joyce's are two I always find the time to read, even if I don't get round to commenting on.We had a lovely weekend here in the UK, temperatures were supposedly higher than in LA!! But today we are back to the normal UK weather - grey and dismal here.

Sandie

Robin in Virginia said...

Your pansy set is so elegant; your bookmark will be gorgeous. I like your wooden thread keep. Do you remember where you got it? Happy to hear that the John Deere sold. I can't say I am surprised about the people who want something for next to nothing (or nothing).

Carol said...

Glad to hear you sold the tractor, Meari--sounds like your brother called the guy's bluff and got the deal he wanted in the end. Good for him!

Your pansy needlebook and scissor fob are simply lovely and the bookmark will make a lovely addition to the set. Enjoy!!

I remember seeing Agnes of God in the movie theater back in the mid-80s and remember having the same reaction.

Have a lovely Easter weekend :)

Pam in IL said...

The bookmark is coming along nicely. We went through the same thing when we sold dad's stuff. I will never understand why people have to be so rude. I've never had good luck with bluetooth handsfree headsets, but will be eager to hear how well you like the new one.

Patricia Green said...

Your posta are always so interesting. Glad the tractor sold. When I lived in Los Angeles, there was a running joke that having a lawn sale was like calling out all the crazies, who offered "five cen" (that's how they said it) for anything from a dime to $100. The "five cen" people were a bit pesky, but they must have sometimes found some really good bargains for their nickels.

I worked as an actress in L.A. For about five years, and have some familiarity with "Agnes of God." Great play, especially with the right cast. How wonderful that you got to see it.

Love the bookmark -- the whole set, really!

Faith... said...

Agnes of God was a good movie so I am sue the play was awesome! I just love your Pansies and the set will look great together. Glad to hear the tractor sold, people are always trying to get something for nothing and that is why I hate selling stuff - LOL.

Anonymous said...

Meari - Love your blog. It always amazes me how "cheap" people can be whether they are at a garage sale or buying something over the internet. We are in the process of downsizing and putting some items on Craigslist - without much luck. However, I posted an ad on Craigslist to get rid of a piece of carpet and pad that we had from when put in a hardwood floor in my stitching room late last year. Really wanted to get rid of it, so advertised it as free. It was gone the next day, but got lots of calls on it. Could have sold it 10 times over - but just wanted it out of my garage. I've looked at those pansy patterns - and almost bought some several years ago, but fought the urge. They are really pretty.

Dorrie

Jenn West said...

Agnes of God is such a provoking story! I saw the movie years ago. Would be thrilled to see it on stage!

Brigitte said...

Aren't they gorgeous, these Textile Heritage kits? I have several in my stash and have already stitched a couple of them. These pansies are so lovely.