Oct 16, 2006

Those Pesky Confetti Stitches


We all just love those confetti stitches, don't we? You know the ones. The ones that might as well be out in timbuktu. The ones where you shouldn't carry the threads on the backside for fear of showing through. I thought I'd pass on my tip for stitching confetti stitches:

Method 1
When working with an even number of floss stands, anchor the floss using the "loop method". Make the cross stitch and then secure the floss by running it under this stitch several times on the back.

Method 2
When using a single strand, thread your needle with a single strand of floss. Stitch the first half of the cross stitch ( / ) leaving a tail on the backside of the work, stitch the first half again ( / ) - giving the look of two strands of floss. Then stitch the second half of the cross stitch ( \ ) twice and thread the tail under the stitch on the backside.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like method 2 - but generally I try to avoid the confetti stitches, they drive me nuts!

Anonymous said...

Yup, gotta hate those confetti stitches. Nice tips.

hollyday said...

I like those tips! We learned something similar to the second one in Hershey :). ((hugs))

Jaime said...

I really don't like doing confetti stitches either..

Barb said...

Good suggestions. I have done a lot of confetti stitching and always just cut the thread after each time. On large pieces it makes the back side a little bumpy for the framer.

Singular Stitches said...

Those confetti stitches *are* annoying, aren't they??

Anonymous said...

Are you stark raving mad yet?!!?? I am with my gathering honey one. i have had about enough but I am almost done.

Marissa said...

You´re right Meari! They´re like going and coming back from timbuktu again and again :) I use both methods. What I do is stitch each one or pair or group (if they are from 2-4) as an individual element, cut, and then next one, and so on. I´m not a confetti lover but I like those guys. They look so good when it´s finished ;)

Hugs
Marissa
:)

Chiloe said...

I'm going to use method 1 !!!!

Irene said...

I use a modification of method 2. I use one strand of floss and stitch a full cross. I then stitch the "second" cross by passing the thread for the lower half underneath. I might be being fussy, but I feel it preserves the flow of the thread.

Also, although knots are bad, I've started using a surgeons knot to secure the thread at the back. ... It seems to be less bulky than passing the thread under several times.

These stitches are a pain!

The Migratory Whales said...

I work an individual cross then slide thread under at back. Cut threads short then touch with Fray Stopper. It works a trear.