May 2, 2019

Stitching and Stashing on Vacation

Hello friends and readers!

I'm back from a week's vacation on the east coast. Went through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, and Tennessee in nine days, plus Washington DC, too!  More on that in another post.

While I was on vacation, I stitched and stashed.  What and where?

I stitched on Swallows, which I am finishing up for a stitching friend, Debby in VA (no blog).  The section I'm working on has been challenging because there are blossoms and leaves randomly placed in the middle of nowhere of the white fabric.  Lots of stops and starts so that that dark thread doesn't show from the back.  I don't know why I hadn't thought of gridding this area sooner, but it sure did make stitching much easier.


Overall look of the piece so far.  I'm hoping it'll go much faster now that the leaves and blossoms are done.
 

While in Virginia, I did some stashing at Dyeing to Stitch.  If you're ever in the area, it's worth the visit.  The store clerks were very friendly and helpful.  Must be that southern charm :)  The charts are well organized.  An entire wall is covered in lovely specialty fibers.  Lots and lots of model stitching!  Their website really does not do the store justice.  I did some major damage to my credit card!


On the drive from Virginia to Tennessee, I stitched on the Land of Liberty by Shepherds Bush kit I bought at Dyeing to Stitch.  I finished it crossing the border to Tennessee.


In the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg TN area is another needlework store, Dixie Darlin.  The store is adorable!
 

It also is filled with lots of models.  I noticed they had a lot of Mill Hill kits as well as Dimensions.  Just like Dyeing to Stitch, their website really doesn't do the store justice.

They didn't have two items I was looking for, but offered to order them and mail to me:

Harvest Home by Mill Hill
American Sampler by Plum Street Samplers
I came home with the button packs for Scatter Freedom and Liberty Notes, a frame and mat for Harvest Home, sleds for ornaments, and more specialty threads (not pictured).


Until next time...
 

8 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

It sounds like you had a good road trip. What wonderful additions to your stash you made!

Deb said...

What a wonderful trip crossing the country to visit needleshops! Great stash aquired and very pretty SB piece.

Donna P. said...

What a great trip - I love Dixie Darlin'. I visited that store a couple of year ago and my credit card also suffered. I also learned that this store is the home to the Foxwood Crossings patterns. So very cool!
Glad you had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great haul of stitching stuff. That should keep you busy for a little while. Glad you had a good time and especially that you got home safely. Dorrie

Anonymous said...

Looks like you visited 2 neat shops. The bird piece you are finishing is just beautiful, thanks for sharing.

hugs,
Shirley in KY

Janet said...

I bet the scenery was gorgeous too. Congrats on your new additions to your stash.

Faith... said...

Road trips are fun! Glad you enjoyed yourself and got to use that CC for some fun stuff. Congrats on the cute finish.

Katie said...

Vacation and stitching shopping....perfect. Great new stash!