Jun 14, 2010

Bead Storage

Over the years, I have accumulated quite a stash of seed beads. All these little packages are running scattered all over the place. (How did I manage to accumulate 4 packages of Gold #40557 Petite Mill Hill beads?!?)

I figured out a very inexpensive way to store them all in one place! I know, I know. You're wondering, "How?" Look at this:

It's a 7-Day Pill "Cabinet" from a store called The Dollar Tree, where everything is $1. They come in different colors, too. Purple, Blue, Green, Clear.

I know, I know. You're thinking, "Great. But who wants all that writing on there? We're storing beads." OK, so maybe you weren't thinking it, but I was! Well...

First, I tried Goo Gone to get the lettering off. No dice. Then I tried nail polish remover. No dice.

Guess what? A COMBINATION of them both took the lettering off! Amazing. It came off pretty easy, too. Fifteen minutes and a few dirty q-tips later...



A compact, 28-compartment bead storage system is born. One package of regular (or 3 packages of petite) Mill Hill beads will fit in a compartment. (Incidentally, I used my label maker to label each compartment with the type and stock number of the beads.)

All for the low, low price of $1!
How can you go wrong with that?



P.S. The Dollar Tree also sells little bottles of Goo Gone (in the automotive aisle) and nail polish remover for $1 each, so if you had to buy those your total cost would only be $3.

REVISED: Per Carol's request, I'm adding information about my label maker. I think it retails for around $50. I got this one several years ago during one of the Black Friday sales (back when they had *good* sales) for the low, low price of FREE after rebate. It works great!

Dymo Labelmaker 200

43 comments:

Pike said...

Hey, that's such a great idea! How many did you purchase of those systems??? I could use two :)

Shelley said...

That is a fabulous idea!! I may have to copy that one for sure...

Ms Nancy said...

When I am out tomorrow I may just haveto pick up a few since I have a sizeable collection of beads.

Maggie said...

What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Good one!!! I love this idea!!!!

Regina

Anonymous said...

Meari,
I love this idea. I have a post about my bead storage on my blog if you care to take a look.

Anonymous said...

What a smart tip about the pill/bead keeper, Meari. I am heading to the Dollar Store ASAP!

Deb in Idaho

Katrien said...

That's a fantastic idea

Unknown said...

Wow. A lot cheaper than the bead centric storage system that I bought, but at least it WAS on sale. Still there is nothing like being able to SEE the colors and have the numbers right on the box. Hooray for label makers!

http://threadsofdesire.blogspot.com/2009/10/excuses-excuses-excuses.html

Paisley said...

Great idea, Meari!

valerie said...

Great Idea, Meari! I may have to try that out. I have to get more beads and this will make things a little more organized....

Rachel S-H said...

Great idea!

Carolyn NC said...

Very cool and creative!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is: ammmmmmmmazing!

Hugs,
Sue

Debra said...

Wonderful idea! I probably have some where between 100-150 different Mill Hill beads.

Carol R said...

I wonder if they do them in our Pound Shops? Better check that out!
Can I get more details of your label maker please?

Kathy said...

Fabulous idea. And at an even better price. :)

Mylene said...

What a great idea, Meari!

Meadows08 said...

What a great idea! I'm always interested to see how everyone organizes their stitching supplies. I might have to hit up Dollar Tree when I'm in Seattle next weekend!

Costco (at least in Canada) always has a Dymo label maker set for around $35.00.

Anonymous said...

Great idea on the bead storage, Meari!

Karin

Carol said...

What a great idea, Meari--I think the Dollar Trees are going to see a run on those pill boxes! Luckily I have one right nearby--thanks for sharing a very useful idea :)

Kathy A. said...

You are just so clever! What a great idea.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea for bead storage. I am going to have to look into it for my own burgeoning collection.

Your stitching looks great and I just love Rosie.

Linda

Berly said...

Awesome idea, Meari!

too_busy_to_stitch said...

Great idea!!

Anonymous said...

Great idea, Meari. I have several pill boxes from when I was working at the hospital (they were free samples - I used them at my desk for paperclips, etc.) Thanks!

Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Very unique idea! I'll have to try that myself

PattyS

Patricia Cecilia said...

Apparently I don't go into the Dollar Tree often enough...great idea, Meari!

Anonymous said...

Great idea Meari

Lorraine

Anonymous said...

Great idea for bead storage!

I remember seeing "Rosie", I live in Sycamore and went to the Ladie's Night Out event with my youngest daughter.

Mary B
Northern IL

Anonymous said...

Great tip! Good for you. I used a label maker at work & wished I had one too.

Find great deals at dollar tree too... too bad all these stores are about 25 minutes drive (50 roundtrip) so I tend to combine trips... hoping I didn't forget anything.

Great blog!

Chris

Anonymous said...

Oh, I want one!!! You're so clever!

PennyB

Julie M said...

That's a great idea Meari! Such a smart lady you are!

glenda said...

Nice idea :) I have the expensive bead holders..but I do love them so...

Moreen said...

Thats a great idea Meari.It cost me £50 for my bead storage and that was about 5 years ago.

Akila said...

Great idea. I've been looking for a good way to store my beads. I now have to open packet after packet to find the right one. Thanks for that :)

EvalinaMaria said...

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing.

Mel said...

brilliant idea Meari! Love it. :)

Lainey said...

Great idea!

Anonymous said...

Meari,
Thank you for joining my contest. I am sorry you didn't win. I am putting up two patterns for my next contest. Please keep an eye out if your still interested.

MaryT said...

What a great idea! I'm like you have I beads stored everywhere. I am thinking I'll make a trip to Dollar Tree myself.

Cindy said...

Great idea! I will have to check out the dollar store for those :)

craftypatty2 said...

I love this idea for beads. I will have to pick up a couple next time at the $1 store. You always have such great ideas Meari.
Hugs,
Patty