May 8, 2007

First Try


Last night, I gave a go at hand-dyeing a piece of evenweave. I used the spray bottle method... not sure if I'm sold on that method. It came out darker than I anticipated, but I don't think it looks too bad for a first try.



I've had a lot of requests asking how I did this, so here goes:

I bought spray bottles at the Dollar Store ($1 ea). Put 1/8 tsp of powdered RIT dye in a quart sized spray bottle & then filled it halfway with HOT water. Shake it gently to mix until all is dissolved. You may want to fill up the rest of the bottle with water if you want lighter color. Get a piece of cardboard (a bit bigger than your piece of fabby) & cover it with plastic wrap. I used a trash bag that I cut open and taped it to the cardboard. I set the cardboard in my tub since I did it at night and it was dark outside. If it were daytime, I'd lean it up against something outside. Wet your material, crumple it up & place it on the plastic. Spray lightly to get the effect you want. Let it dry in the sun & then rinse till water runs clear. If you have some pieces laying around you might want to use them as "testers" before dong your main piece. This way if your piece is lighter than you like & you think you want to go darker you can just add more dye to the bottle , re-spray it & hopefully get the color you want & you'll know how much to put in the bottle for the next time.

9 comments:

Greg said...

It looks great to me. What are you going to stitch on it? I can imagine a dragon on it. :-)

glenda said...

Very pretty, Meari! I love the color.

Cheryl said...

Love that colour!

Elizabeth MacGregor-Kirkcaldy said...

I think it turned out lovely, Meari!! Such a beautifully, rich colour! What are you going to stitch on it? :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I've never seen the spray bottle method, I might have to try that!

Sharon said...

It may have turned darker than you wanted-but it is a gorgeous color. What are you going to stitch on it?

stitcherw said...

Love the color, you did great.
Sue

Anonymous said...

What a great colour. I can't wait to give this a try myself.
Cheers

Unknown said...

Aha another fabby dyer. I love to dye my own colors am working on a gold, yellow red combination but I am using the sponge method. Wish me luck. Oh yeah I dye my own floss too.