Jul 2, 2012

Marvelous Monday Update 7/2/12

Welcome to July!

WEATHER
Over 16 states are currently under a heat advisory.  My area isn't as hot as others, but we're going into our second week of steady 90-100F temps.  Normally, I'm not one to use my AC but it is just so darn HOT! 

GARDENING
My poor garden is hanging in there with my diligent use of the water hose.  I've got baby green tomatoes and peppers. The squashes have flowers galore.  And, I can now see my onions after a tremendous amount of weeding.

If you remember a while back, I mentioned I started a compost bin.  I'm happy to say it's coming along nicely!  The shredded newspaper and food scraps are actually breaking down into dirt-like compost.  To answer people's questions:  It doesn't smell and there are no flies.  Some spiders have taken up residence in the corners, though. LOL  I figure by fall, I should have a nice pile of compost to add to my garden for next year!

NEIGHBORS
I have mentioned my backyard dog breeding neighbors a time or two.  Their entire backyard (which isn't that big) comprises of dog kennels.  This year, the two females had 13 puppies between them.  Add in the two males and you have 17 dogs less than 20 feet from my house.  Over the course of the summer I have called the police numerous times because of whining puppies.  Other times because one mama would get too close to the other mamas babies.  I couldn't even take a nap in my living room because of dog noise! 

There is no ordinance in the city that prohibits dog breeding.  There's a limit to the number of dogs over the age of four months that a person can have... and that's four.  Since puppies are under four months, it's perfectly legal to have 13 of them!  Oh, did I mention they are Siberian Huskies??!?

This is the kennel minus the "temporary" puppy kennel that took up one car size of their driveway. In addition to the noise, it's an eyesore!  I came out one day to find remnants of plywood and wood planks leaning up against MY garage!


THEATRE
Over the weekend, one of the local community theaters put on To Kill A Mockingbird.  Having read the book and seen the movie several times, I was really looking forward to the play version.


The director took liberties I really didn't care for, but overall the play was really good.

GIVEAWAY
Shelley from Shelley's Artsy-Fartsy Life is hosting a Britty Kitty giveaway on her blog.  She recently finished them all and has shown them on her blog as well. Go check out her recent finishes!  They are so adorable.

STITCHY STUFF
It took almost a week for me to get back into the groove of life after getting back from the Colorado retreat.  I managed to get unpacked, restock on groceries, and do some stitching.
Sampler aux Bouquets

I did some stashing right before the retreat.  This kit is called Woodland Friends.  I think it's so adorable.  I will probably switch out the aida for an evenweave, though.



I found this afghan fabric at a thrift store for $3.99.  When I got to the counter, I found out certain colored housewares tags were 50% off that day!  What a deal!!



RAK'd
I received a recent edition of a magazine called Oriental Cross Stitch Favorites from Sue.  She is so generous!  She had emailed me that it was coming, so I politely stalked the post office waiting.  There are so many awesome designs in it :)


Debi sent me one of the 6 Fat Men charts from Lizzie Kate.  It's so cute!

A big THANK YOU to Sue and Debi!!

Until next time,

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that you are having a hard time with the heat. Those triple digits are rough. Out here in Tucson they are the norm for summer. So we are used to it. Take it easy & drink plenty of water. Try to stay indoors or go somewhere that has AC like the library. Congrats on the great stash you bought & received as RAK's. So sorry about your neighbors. That would drive me nuts all that barking & whining.
Have a great Monday!!!
Betty in AZ (ILCS)

Emily in NC said...

We are watering our garden as well, but fresh tomatoes are so worth it. AS long they are not mistreating their dog's guess there is not much you can do about your neighbors. Those poor dogs must be miserable in this heat though.

Anne said...

Hmm, that's where all the heat has gone! We are sitting here freezing in rain! Guess I shouldn't complain! Your neighbours sound terrible. So sorry you have to put up with that! I'm sure the dogs don't like it much either. Love your Sampler!! I'll have to check out your retreat posts!! Great RAk's too!!

Katrien said...

Nice RAK's.
The weather here is all strange, one day wayyy to hot, the next it's cold and windy and stormy...

Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself in the heat!

Those poor dogs. I have a siberian husky, and that's not the life they are suited for at all. I despise backyard breeders. Your neighbors are taking advantage of the children who want a husky because it looks like a "Snow Dog" (from the movie). They have no idea what a husky needs to be happy and healthy, and the dogs will end up in a shelter and/or destroyed. Backyard breeders should be spayed/neutered and made to sit in a small cage so they understand what it's like to be in a shelter.

Karin in CA

Cathy said...

Love your stitching. We're in the heat too, but it looks like it's going to cool off to the upper 80's soon. Sorry about the neighbor problem. That's a tough one to deal with.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Meari,

Your Sampler aux Bouqets is coming along beautifully. Congratulations on your RAK's - more stitchy projects. You always have a knack for picking up bargains!

Tara

Laurita Hall said...

Meari,
Your sampler is looking fab!!!
I think your neighbours are crazy, 17 dogs in a backyard!!!?? And Siberian Huskies, they might be suffering the heat... poor pupies...

hugs!

BTW Your blog is so cool!

Anonymous said...

It's been crazy hot here, too. They're predicting rain and upper 80's by the end of the week and I am soooooo excited by that news. I feel for you with the puppies in the neighbor's yard. And I feel for the poor puppies to be kept in those conditions. I wish people looked at animals as more than a money maker. Great stashing and RAK's.

Sandy in NM

Pam in IL said...

Your sampler is coming along nicely!

Maybe there is a hidden benefit of using the a/c - you can have the windows closed and not hear the dogs? We broke down and turned our a/c on last week. The girls have been de-roguing the corn and detasseling started today. I worry so much about all the kids & adults that work outside in this heat.

Stay cool!

Anonymous said...

I can emphatize with you and the heat as we are getting the same kind of weather here in Canada.

Your stitching is lovely and lovely RAKs.

Marl

Denise SA said...

Pity about those poor dogs, I hope the weather cools down for you a little and thank you for sharing

Chris said...

This heat is just exhausting. I am sorry that you have to deal with neighbor issues. nobody needs stress like that when they are home.
I love your sampler, so pretty.
Stay cool and have a great week!

Akila said...

Heard about the heat too. It's just getting slightly tolerable down here.
Bouquet sampler is looking very pretty. Wow, love the magazine. Sounds interesting

Anonymous said...

Hi Meari

It is unbelievable to read news from USA , how hot there is and what everything going on ( that forest fires , peoples are dying to hot and... )

We have not those problems. We have not had really warm days yet. We have had so cold wind. Today is Sunny , about +20 celsius in Sun but not so warm in the shade. I was today in city by bike and today I can use T-shirt but here have been really cold June, Hope that beginning little warmer days now. I dont need really warm but I wish to wear shorts and T-shirt in Summer. We dont have had not Swimming day yet, so I have not been swimming yet either, hopely soon , before that Summer End.

I hope that you are all safe there.

and I really enjoy to read your blog


Tinna

Jo said...

The 6 Fat Men is great and WHAT A BARGAIN for the afghan fabric. Now you've just got the hard part...deciding what to stitch on it! It doesn't seem right that no-one will do anything about your neighbours, it looks a total eyesore not to mention a health hazard. x

Shelley said...

I'm sorry you have the heat...which we normally are trying to tolerate. It has hit the triple digits here but it didn't last more than 1 day. The bad side is that means that it will probably be triple digits come Halloween!!

Your stitching is beautiful and those RAKs are awesome.

Too bad about the breaders next door. We have lots of ordinances against stuff like that but you have to get petitions signed from your neighbors to get anything done about it and lots of people just don't want to get involved...

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's a lot of dogs! Hope they scoop the poop!!! P.U.

Congrats on your fabulous thrift store find!!!! :oD So, whatcha gonna stitch on it??

Happy Trails,
Pam K. :o)

Anne Sans Tete said...

I can't believe all those puppies are legal! That's horrible!!!

Lovely RAKs- always nice to know people are thinking of you!

- Lisa N. in Cambodia

Mary Ivancicts said...

Love the Thrift store find! Sad about the neighbors, you have the dogs and our next door neighbor has 4 cars in their yard, guess they don't like to park on the streets!

Kay said...

The heat is brutal as of late for so many of us. I am looking forward to fall and the cooler temps that follow. The raks you got were nice as well as the thrift store find! Always wonderful to be thought of when it comes to friends sending something your way that they know you will love! I hope that soon the issue with the pups get resolved. That is an awful lot of noise I have to imagine that is going on.

Veronica said...

Sampler aux Bouquets looks great. Loving the colours of this design. Lovely stash you've acquired. What a deal for that afghan fabric.

Sorry to hear about the puppies problem with your neighbour :(

Hugs,
Veronica.

Nancy M said...

This heat is just over the top, huh? I think at least you've had a bit of rain. Still we have only had .25" for 6 weeks. When we average over 3". You've found some more awesome cross stitch deals and gotten some great RAKS. I think you need about 20 projects to currently work on! LOL Now that you are out of school, you should have plenty of time!

Anonymous said...

Meari -

Glad that you had a good time at your retreat! Sorry about the issues with the puppies!

Marge

Carol said...

I hope your heat wave has finally subsided, Meari. Even though we only reached 99 here, it was just an awful stretch! Thank goodness for air conditioning is all I can say :)

That is horrible that you have to deal with all of that dog noise-sounds like maybe there should be an ordinance put on the books!

Such nice RAKs and what a great find in that afghan fabric. Do you have any plans for it?