Jul 26, 2019

Artistic Endeavors

At the beginning of June, my area has an event where there are 40 miles of garage sales along a highway.  One of the locations listed sewing machines and fabric.  When I got there, I wasn't interested in any of the fabric or the machine.  While perusing, I spied a row of art books -- some of which were watercolor painting books.  Through chit-chat with the residents, I learned her Mom had been into watercolor and had lots of stuff her Dad wanted to sell.  She went in the house and came out with two swiffer containers of watercolor paints and brushes.  I negotiated a price of $33 for all the paints, a package of 22x30" Arches watercolor paper, two 4x6 watercolor blocks, and the books.  Retail cost would be over $600.  I was a happy camper!!



I made a palette of the Grumbacher paints and for student grade, they are very good!  They re-wet nicely and are very vibrant.


While waiting for fireworks to start, I painted a postcard.  Happy 4th!

I participated in a Watercolor Postcard Exchange in June.  These are the ones I painted:




These are the ones I received so far:



I also did a birthday postcard for a little girl in IN. The skirt of the dress is overlaid with metallic paint. So cute!


During one camping weekend, I painted a Monarch Butterfly caterpillar.  It almost looks real!


Until next time...

15 comments:

Faith... said...

Your watercolor pieces are really looking great! I love the postcard for the little girl but that caterpillar is such a cute piece! Congrats on how well your paintings are!

Purple Pixie Dust said...

that caterpillar really looks real. Great buy. hugs

butterfly said...

Beautiful cards , you gave me some ideas thank you.

connie said...

You are so talented Meari..That caterpillar is Amazing..It really does look real..

Vickie said...

Woohoo Meari! What a deal!!!! What a neat new hobby! Your are doing so very well at it too! That caterpillar is do very good!!

Donna G. said...

Wow! You’re painting skills are incredible. Even though caterpillars terrify me (a phobia from childhood!), the monarch caterpillar is beautiful.

Robin in Virginia said...

Meari, what an incredible find and bargain on the paints, paper, books! Your watercolor postcards are simply awesome. I love the sunflower one you did. You have received several lovely postcards in return. Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

You are such a talented young lady. I'm in awe. Great job with the postcards!

Dorrie

Anonymous said...

Meari,

What a good deal you got and your post cards are so pretty.

Marl

Pam in IL said...

Wonderful postcards! How did you find a postcard exchange? Awesome score on the watercolor supplies! You ALWAYS find the good stuff!

Anonymous said...

I'm finally catching up here, LOL. Great haul at the garage sale, and your watercolor paintings / postcards are beautiful!! Yay for getting back to work on JG! That one's taking you longer than the white tiger took Sandy, LOL

I can't believe it's already been 5 years. Hugs. Your little planters look good.

Karin

Katie said...

I love garage sales. Never know what you will find. I just love your water color. You are very talented. The starfish is my favorite probably. You are right the caterpillar does look real indeed.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your fantastic garage sale finds with the watercolors, Meari. Your pictures are really great! I'm going to have to remember some of your finishing ideas. I have a bunch of ornaments stitched, but I haven't finish finished them yet because I haven't known exactly how to. Your ideas are always so creative.

Sandy in NM

Carol said...

Sorry to be so late with my comments, Meari! With our Europe trip and then going to visit my mom in NY I am WAY behind on everything! I would so love to go to those famous garage sales of yours! You got some wonderful paints, brushes, and papers--wow! And your painted postcards turned out so cute--congratulations on another successful hobby :)

connie said...

Your Art Work is Always Beautiful ..