Jul 25, 2019

Frogging, FFO's, and Final Good-Bye



How important is your stitching lamp to you?  Long time readers may remember when I had to repair my stitching lamp.  Tutorial HERE.  In addition to stitching, I also use my lamp for reading and computer work on my laptop.  One day, I turned it on and I heard a crackling noise.  Tyra (aka Sock Monster) also heard it and ran over to the lamp to check it out.  Then I smelled burning.  At first, I thought the bulb blew so I tried another bulb.  No dice.  I tested the bulb on desktop lamp and it worked fine.  My lamp finally died after over a decade of service.  Good-bye old friend, Good-bye.  ::sniffle::  Thankfully, I had another lamp in my craft room.

In January, my second Mom Sue from VA sent me a stitched piece to make into a pillow for her granddaughter's birthday.  Here is the end result of our combined efforts.


This was the first time I made yo-yo's and used them in finishing. They turned out so cute, I'm sure I will use them again.

After four long winter months, I finally went to the monthly stitch-in with the Stateline Stitchers. I worked on Japanese Garden.  


I made a little progress, but then realized the bridge was off a few rows.  Frogging was in my future!


I re-stitched it and it was still off so I had to frog some more the entire bridge and water underneath.  Finally, I got it right.  Here's what it looks like now.


Last week, the weather was unbearably hot and humid so I stayed in and worked on some FFO's (fully finished objects).


Merry Christmas Grumpy Kitty was stitched in 2014 on 22ct red aida with DMC and Kreinik threads.  I mounted it on a wood snowflake ornament purchased at Michael's a couple years ago.  I "painted" the ornament with silver glitter glue.  Although it can't be seen in the photo, I also "painted" the edge of the snowflake with red glitter glue.  The ornament was embellished with cream handmade cording.  Design is a freebie by Brooke Nolan.



I stitched Snow Much Fun at the North Pole on 32ct sky blue linen with DMC threads.  I started and finished it during my Christmas 2017 visit with my second Mom, Sue V in VA.  The design is by The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery, JCS Christmas Ornament issue 2017.  I mounted it on the same sled I used for THIS ornament last year.  This sled ornament is embellished with handmade cording and snowflake buttons.


Meet Uncle Sam!  He is a Flatbed Zippie design by Bent Creek.  Love Bent Creek designs!  Last July, I received the chart as a RAK from Carol at Stitching Dreams. (It's only taken me a year to stitch it up and fully finish it!)  This cutie was stitched on 28ct Light Mocha Cashel Linen with DMC and Carries Creations floss.


This is the first time I've done an Altoids tin finish.  I looked at several photos of this type of finish before going my own way.


I made the inside of the lid magnetic which can hold pins, needles, or a pair of small scissors.  


The bottom is covered in the same fabric I used on the inside.  The bottom outside edge is trimmed with red gross grain ribbon and topped with another 1/4" ribbon in red/blue plaid.  The top outside edge is covered with a red ribbon with white dashes through it.  Best of all, I finished this with things in my stash!

Until Next Time...

14 comments:

Purple Pixie Dust said...

Nice stitching. hugs

Anonymous said...

Meari,

Just had the chance to read your blog. Your finished pieces. Are fantastic! I spent quite a while drooling over your Altoids box!

Please don’t send those frogs this way.....

Sally

Julie Routon said...

Beautiful pillow and needle case!! You are an AMAZING stitcher!!

Deb said...

Ouch, sorry about the loss of your lampy friend. Mine is about 7 years old and has been repaired several times, too. Hate the thought of losing it. Beautiful stitching and finishing!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! The pillow is darling, and I'm sure Momma Sue's grandchild will love it. Your Japanese Garden is fantastic and coming along nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing the piece finished - it will be awesome. And all of your finishes - beautiful. I have lots of empty Altoids tins. Need to figure out what to do with them someday. As always, all of your stitching is wonderful.

Dorrie

SouthernComfortknc said...

Love your works and especially when you show how it looks finished.

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for showing us what you've accomplished.
You are an inspiration to me to get going on my finishes.

Robin in Virginia said...

What fabulous finished finishes you have created! That Uncle Sam tin is adorable. Love the yoyo additions to the pillow! Sorry your lamp died, but it gave you many years of use; happy you didn't have to go without. Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Meari, What a treat to see your blog updates! I can't resist grumpy kitty - thanks for the link to the chart. And, love, love, love your sweet sled ornament. Both are finished to perfection! Nice job on the altoids tin; I still hope to give it a try one day. I'm happy to see JG coming along. Hopefully, frogging is behind you now and you can make some progress. It's a beauty of a project.

DH won an electric lawn mower at a golf tournament and he loves it. Enjoy your new one. And, hope you're enjoying a lovely summer!

Marina

Rebecca said...

I love how you finished your Altoids tin, I may have to try one now. :) All of your stitching is coming along nicely. Hope your having a nice summer.

Faith... said...

Just love the tin Meari. What a cute pillow for Sue's granddaughter and those yo-yos really look great on it.


RIP lamp; she provided ten years of amazing service.

Pam in IL said...

I love how the altoids tin turned out! All your finishes are great. Such a good feeling to have some FFOs.

Anonymous said...

Lovely finishes and it's good to see Japanese Garden coming along nicely, even if the frog does make his appearance occasionally. Being able to go to a monthly stitch-in would be wonderful.

Lynne

Katie said...

Sorry your lamp finally gave up on you. Glad you got Japanese Garden all fixed up. Beautiful finishes!!! Love the way the tin turned out.