Jul 1, 2015

Glorious Getaway - Part Five

Despite our daily excursions, we *did* get loads of stitching done while binge watching Gilmore Girls.  We must've watched 20 episodes over the course of the week. LOL

My first finish actually occurred the night before I caught the plane to Virginia.
I recycled a retractable name badge holder I got from work.  The design is called Knob Appeal-Tomato Pincushion... published in Cross Stitch & Country Crafts magazine Jan/Feb 1991.  I stitched it over-one on 36ct Light Gray Linen with DMC floss.

I finished the next two while in Virginia.  It's amazing how much stitching I can do when I don't have the stresses of every day life.  I think more vacations are in order!

Designer: Palkó
Design: June  Monthly SAL.
Fabric: 28ct Cashel Linen
Fibers: Six Strand Sweets Butterscotch,
Carries Creations Marina,
and Dinky Dyes Aquamarine
Designer: Lizzie Kate
Fabric: 28ct Evenweave
Fibers: DMC, Carries Creations*
*I swapped out 3816 with Carries Creations Marina,
and 3865 with DMC 415.
I also took along the marriage sampler I've been working on.  Made quite a bit of progress... about 3/4 done!  Can't show photos yet, though.
While at the airport waiting for my flight home, I started an ornament called A Memory of Williamsburg.  SM gave it to me as a remembrance of my trip.  It's stitched with Mosiac and Smyrna stitches.
Speaking of flights, I thought I'd comment on mine.  I flew from Chicago to Philadelphia to Newport News, and came back the same route reversed.  From Chicago to Philly, I was on an American Airlines flight.
There was quite a bit of turbulence on the way to Philly.  It didn't really bother me... I'm so trusting, LOL.  US Airways provided the flight from Philly to Newport News.  It carried 37 passengers.  I was *not* impressed with the plane.  It was old, noisy, and smelled a bit musty.  The window trim and surfaces were not very clean.
If you've never used US Airways, you may want to think about another airline.  Although, I did overhear the stewardess telling other passengers that they were phasing out these planes.  So, maybe the newer planes will be better.
I'd like to conclude by saying I had a great vacation.  I can't remember the last time I felt so relaxed and stress-free.  I slept really well, which was surprising considering I never sleep well in a strange environment.  A big THANK YOU and ((hugs)) to Sue and Butch for welcoming me into their home.

Glorious Getaway - Part Four

Colonial Parkway, Jamestown Settlement

Lots to see during a drive on Colonial Parkway. It's very scenic with several pull offs to park and get out to enjoy the view as well as learn a bit about the history of the area.

Upon arrival at the Jamestown Settlement, we were met with an awesome fountain and display of all the state flags.  I even spotted the Illinois flag... fifth one back on the left.
This was a display of uniforms used to defend the English crown from the 1600's thru 2006.  After I took the photos, I saw a sign that said "Do not take photos of the exhibits."  Whoops.

The Ships
So how did the first settlers get to America? On three ships named the Discover, Godspeed, and Susan Constant.  I really cannot imagine a crew of 125 plus a hundred or so settlers sailing on that thing for months to get to Virginia.  Not to mention the supplies that had to be brought also.

 The Jamestown Settlement included replicas of the ships docked in the water.  Visitors were invited to climb aboard and explore.
I explored the Susan Constant.

How would you like to sleep next to the canon?
View of Discovery & Godspeed from deck of Susan Constant

James Fort
After looking at all the indoor exhibits, we headed outdoors to see James Fort, the three ships that brought the first English settlers to America, and the Indian Village.
We were looking for the advertised "talk" about clothing worn during the time period, but wandered into a lecture given by one of the settlers about the history of Jamestown.  I got pulled into the talk as a stand-in for Captain Perry, lol. That's what I get for sitting in the second pew of the church!

There were at least seven cannons positioned on platforms around the perimeter of the fort to protect settlers from Indians.
Entire buildings were devoted to artillery.  Each of the reproduction guns were handmade and cost $2,000 a piece!  This build was full of them!!
Each building had a specific purpose: Blacksmith, Woodworker, Church, Food Storage, as well as living quarters.
The beds were teeny-tiny!
Food and Tobacco Storage
Settler tending to the gardens and chickens.

Powhatan Indian Village 
The Powhatan Indian village is based on archaeological findings at a site once inhabited by Paspahegh Indians, the Powhatan tribal group closest to Jamestown, and descriptions recorded by English colonists.  It includes reed-covered houses, crops and a ceremonial circle of carved wooden posts.
This plaque sums it all up:
It's mounted on the base of a tall brick monument
Hope you enjoyed the tour of Jamestown Settlement. In Part Five, I'll be wrapping up my vacation.  Thanks for sticking with me :)

Jun 28, 2015

Glorious Getaway - Part One

I spent almost a week in beautiful Virginia with my SM Sue and her entertaining DH Butch.  Oh, and let's not forget their doggie Peanut, who after three days finally decided I was friend instead of foe, lol.  I haven't been so stress-free and slept so well in I don't know how long!  I am normally a light sleeper... SM informed me that I slept through not one, but TWO storms.

Despite being 93F and high humidity, we did a bit of site seeing each day.

Yorktown Cemetery, Victory Monument, and Yorktown Beach

 There were a LOT of unmarked grave sites.

Victory Monument stands right next to York River.  
It's massive and an exceptional piece of art.
 An interesting bit of trivia....

Even though it was a hot day, there was a fabulous breeze at the beach.
I had to test the waters.

Stay tuned for the next installment...