May 22, 2024

Homestead Happenings - Part 2

When we last left off, I was dealing with the water run off and dirt flowing out into the driveway due to storms passing through right after I had the shrubs removed from around The Homestead.  What a mess that was to clean up!

After some quick research, I did some shopping.

I started with these

Then I had to get more!

They are 8x3x4" retaining wall blocks perfect size for small retaining walls, raised flower beds, and garden walls.  They are made to look like naturally worn flagstone.  Fairly light weight at 8lbs each.  The color I chose is called Ashland.

Shovel, level, mallet, and pavers at hand, I set to work.  First project was to keep anymore dirt from washing out onto the driveway from directly next to The Homestead.




One the pavers were in place, I lined the bed with landscaping fabric, then added dirt to bring it level to the top edge.  Then I topped it with red mulch.


Earlier in the summer, I decided a solar fountain would be a fun addition to The Homestead.


I wanted to incorporate the fountain at the front of The Homestead so I designed the next paving project with this in mind.  This project also intended to keep soil from sliding out into the driveway.


I spent many a day and some late nights getting this built.


Once the border was built, I also lined this with landscaping fabric followed by lots and lots and lots of dirt!  Since this is where I planned to put the fountain, I topped the dirt with small river rock for stability.


Next thing I know, it was November and getting colder.  I still had quite a bit left to do!

I quickly set the remaining pavers in place temporarily and put down mulch so I knew how the borders would look in front of the house.  I didn't quite have enough, but my plan is to finish this part in 2024.



This was my first ever landscaping project of this magnitude. It's not be perfect... I do love how it's turning out, though!

Until next time...




2 comments:

Marilyn said...

WOW! That's a LOT of hard work!
It looks great.
Marilyn

butterfly said...

Looks great , well done you did a great job .
Hugs June.