Jul 28, 2008

Marvelous Monday Update 7/28/08

Note of Gratitude
I know I don't say it nearly enough, but I'd like to thank all the people who stop by and read my blog, and to those who take time to leave me comments. It's beyond words can say how much some of your comments mean to me. In my moments of triumph or trial, the support I've received is greatly appreciated. :)


Gardening
I cannot believe how fast my planters are growing!

2 weeks ago

Planter #1 Now

Planter #2 Now


Other planters I created this year:



A "Little" DIY
I found this soap dish at the local thrift store. It's metal and I thought it was worth the 99c price tag! The finish was black, but I decided to paint it to match my bathroom mirror.

Mirror Detail


I forgot to take "before" pics, but here's what my soap dish looks like now:

Earlier this year, my Dad and uncle finished remodeling my parent's kitchen. Two weekends ago, my Dad brought over some of the upper cabinets so I could use them for storage in the basement. A problem came into play when I realized three of the cabinets were missing two shelves and the fourth one didn't have any! Dad thinks they got thrown away with the boxes from the new cabinets. (Otherwise he doesn't know, LOL) So, this past weekend I went over and he cut me shelves out of scrap wood he had... even sanded the surfaces down. :) Now I can finish organizing *that* corner of the basement.


Weather
We've had some really beautiful weather this week. Relatively low humidity and temps have been in the mid-70's to 80's. It was so nice that one day I grabbed something to eat, a magazine, stitching, and headed for the local park for my lunch hour. It was a great break from the work day, however it made me *not* want to go back to work! The next day, I sat outside the library and stitched while watching the demolition of an empty Ford dealership that had been in town since the 1950's or before.


'Blading Mania
I've really been itching to go rollerblading. There's a small park nearby that has a walking/bike path. I found it last year when my usual spot had been under construction (and the newly constructed roads nixed rollerblading). I must've been crazy to do 12 laps on my first time out! I was soooo tired afterwards. Surprisingly, I wasn't too sore the next day. My goal at first was only to do 4 laps, then I thought "Well, why not 6?" and it kept going up from there. I should've stopped around lap 10 because after that, my clumsy gene started kicking in and I almost lost my balance a few times. To top it off, group of 3 "young adults" with baby & stroller hogged width of path and almost made me crash. When I decided to stop and was taking off my gear, they walked by and didn't even apologize either. How rude!


Stitchy Stuff
I managed to get a little bit of stitching in this week. I finished the stitching part of my ornament for an exchange. I still need to get a button for it and then make it into an ornament. I hope my exchange partner likes it. :)

I've also got almost all my stuff for the Rainbow Exchange I'm in. Picking stitchy stuff in colors of the rainbow has been harder than I thought! I hope my partner likes what I picked out.

If you need some S.E.X. (Stash Enhancement eXperience), feel free to wander over to my stash-for-sale blog.... I've added a few more things.

23 comments:

Mylene said...

Your potted plants are beautifully arranged.

Lisa said...

Hi Meari! Wow! the plants look gorgeous....so full and colorful. I love your Dad, he sounds like my Dad, aren't Dads great? Good job on the DIY projects. I see you even got free entertainment during your lunch hour, lol. Do ladies with baby strollers have the right of way on some planet? :-)

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Wow your plants are really growing nicely.

Kendra said...

I know what you mean about some "park walkers"...I sometimes go jogging in city parks or on the city's Greenbelt fitness path, and it never fails that I encounter at least one group of walkers that take up the whole width of the trail and pay no attention to the fact that OTHER people might be using the trail as well. And I love it when they act all annoyed that I'm passing them...sorry, folks, I'm jogging, you're walking...what am I supposed to do?!?!

Terry said...

Planters are beautiful! Sounds like you had some fun this weekend and past week. Hope the weather continues to be nice so you can enjoy your lunch away from work.

Joy said...

Meari your flowers are beautiful! You have done a wonderful job with them. Looking forward to seeing your corner organized with the cabinets.

Barb said...

The flowers are beautiful!

Unknown said...

Your plants look great and so does the soap dish. Matches your mirror perfectly.
Heidi-ILCS

Shari said...

the flowers have grown so much!!
so pretty! Your blog is always encouraging!!! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog and looking at all your projects! The soap dish is adorable and the planters are so very pretty. I am glad your dad could get you some shelves cut for the cupboards.
Debbie Jo

Nancy M said...

Lovely flowers, that reminds me, need to get off this computer and go water mine.....I could never get the knack of rollerblading, so I can't comment, but my ankles could NOT handle 10 laps for sure. I don't like going outside for lunch for the same reason.... not wanting to go back!

Janine said...

Hi Meari, Your potted plants are lovely. Makes me wish for summer here. Now I usually hate summer so that is a surprise. Love the soap dish as well. You are such a handy girl and I continue to enjoy seeing all the lovely things you do around your home.

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Wow thanks for all the news. Let's see if I can remember everything. The planters all look amazing. The soapdish came out great. Good luck with the cabinets. Be careful blading. I am sure the rainbow items will all be enjoyed. Oh yeah and your welcome, CJ

Carolyn NC said...

Plants are gorgeous and so is the soap dish. Can I hire you to come decorate my house?! I'm impressed with the rollerblading, especially that you weren't sore the next day!

Julie R said...

Just catching up on your blog. Your planters look wonderful. I was glad to read your cardiac tests came back negative, even if it didn't get to the root of what was causing the discomfort. Wish I could offer advice on the men issues. I still don't have mine figured out. Its easier to put furniture together than try and understand what men are doing/thinking...;)

Jenna said...

Your planters are coming along beautifully! It's amazing how nicely they filled in. I like your "new" soap holder, too. You are just so creative with these things. Glad to hear that you are getting out and enjoying the weather during your lunch breaks. :)

Anonymous said...

your planters look pretty! it's amazing to see the growth. it's nice to hear about the good weather. Medan has been very hot, even more with these occasional electricity blackouts that disables any air conditioning X)

Gabi said...

Lovely flowers Maeri. And you did a great job with that soap dish too. :)

CJ said...

I love the planter. You are a real crafty critter.

CJ

Carol R said...

Beautiful planters Meari!

Don't do what I did a few years back - I went to the park at lunchtime and fell asleep and didn't get back into work until gone 3pm. Try explaining that to an irate boss!

Stitchermommy said...

Meari, I have nominated you for the Brillant Webblog award. Please stop by my blog and pick up your award!

Shelleen said...

your plants look great and love your soap dish. I always enjoy seeing what you are putting together.

Sharon said...

The planters are absolutely gorgeous!