Apr 24, 2007

Tuesday Update 4/24/07

Movie Monday
Missing in America
I thought this was an excellent movie with a sad ending. I actually got teary-eyed! Danny Glover plays a Vietnam veteran named Jake who lives in exile in the forests of the Pacific Northwest. His only contact with civilization is through the owner of a small store, who periodically supplies his provisions. He helps other lonely veterans that live in the forest giving them part of his supplies and receiving wood in return. He’s visited by a former private of his platoon who has lung cancer and is asked to raise his Vietnamese daughter. After Jake says no, the private leaves his daughter and vanishes. After spending time with the girl, his behavior and attitude changes for the better, until a tragedy happens.


School
I submitted my power point presentation for my meteorology class a week early so I could benefit from the instructors comments, and make changes before the actual due date. Students were given this opportunity only if they submitted it by the 15th. I should know in the next week or so what I got for a grade. I was THRILLED to find out that I got 100% on my quiz last week. My last quiz is next week. I’m holding steady at 91% for the class. *crossing my fingers* On Thursday, I go to pick up my cap and gown. Woo Hoo!


Stitching
I really haven’t done much stitching lately. I finished stitching the name tag for a retreat I’m going to in June. I still need to make it into a little purse. Dual purpose! I figure I can put my ID, room key and a little money in there, rather than carry around my purse.


Get Fit Celebration Dinner
As you may know, the Get Fit Challenge ended last week. Our team captain invited the entire team to her house for a celebration dinner. She proudly told us that we were the first dinner guests they’ve had other than family, since moving to their home 3 years ago, and was very excited to have us. Dinner was excellent!! I took S as my dinner guest, as well as his 2yr old son. Being from a large family and having lots of grandkids, my team captain was prepared for “little ones” with the entire basement made into a kid-friendly area complete with toys, videos, etc. For the celebration, we each brought a dish to pass. I made Taco Dip from a recipe I found online. It was very healthy and tasty!


TACO DIP

2 (16 oz) cans vegetarian refried beans
1 (16 oz) container sour cream
1 (1.25 oz) package taco seasoning mix
¾ - 1 c. salsa
1/2 head iceberg lettuce - rinsed, dried, and chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3/4 c. chopped black olives
8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese

Place the beans in the bottom of one 9x13 inch clear glass dish. In a medium bowl combine the sour cream with the taco seasoning. Spread mixture over the beans. Spread the salsa over the top of the sour cream. Top the sour cream with a layer of lettuce, tomatoes, onions and olives. Sprinkle cheese over the top and serve.

Notes: I did change the recipe some. I didn’t really measure out the salsa. I just used a tablespoon and dropped in over the sour cream mix. Then I evenly spread it out. I used only one large tomato, a small can (4 oz. I think) of sliced black olives, and maybe 4 oz. of cheese. I sprinkled it on til it looked good. LOL


Women of Excellence Dinner
Tonight, I’m attending a charity dinner that benefits the domestic violence program for my county. It’s the major fundraiser for the program. Each year, my firm purchases tickets for the women in my office who would like to attend. The evening is filled with entertainment, an awards ceremony that honors women who make a difference in our community, and a delicious meal. Before dinner, there’s also a social hour as well as a champagne sponsor reception. It should be an enjoyable evening!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you are close to graduation, but don't think you have mentioned what your degree will be in??? Curious minds want to know!!!

Anonymous said...

Picking up your cap & gown - would love to see a photo of you all dressed. Not much stitching going on but it sounds like you are having a very fulfilling time all the same. :)

stitcherw said...

Sounds like you have a lot going on, good luck with keeping it all balanced. That would be so exciting to be getting ready to graduate, congratulations, you've worked very hard for it.

The name tag/pouch sounds great. That is what I've done the last couple of years when I've gone to my stitching retreat. It works great to hold things where I can find them.
Sue