Sep 20, 2007

To Think I Was Worried...

My worries about the seller being at the walk-thru pale in comparison to what happened after that. Let me start at the beginning:

4:30pm *** I’m having a conversation with the administrative assistant who I share an office space with. I’m telling her about how unsettling it was that the seller was going to be at the walk thru, and how odd I thought that was. Maybe it’s a regional thing because she thought it was odd also. But some of my blog readers have informed me that it’s standard practice where they’re from. Anywho...

5:10pm *** I stop at home to let little Celeste out and to pick up S. He re-arranged visitation with his tot so that he could do the walk-thru with me.

5:30pm *** We arrive at the new house. The seller’s realtor and the seller was there. My realtor was not. Yikes. We start the walk-thru without her… actually S starts the walk-thru. He’s so thorough!! He checked everything inside and out, including the garage and basement. My realtor did show up… She was just a little late. The seller was very nice and helpful, and not at all what I expected.

6:40pm *** My realtor and I were chatting about personal stuff, and S walks by rubbing his belly in circles (LOL!) and softly says to me: “Me hungry” The realtor and I wrap it up so S and I could get something to eat. We went to a local Mexican restaurant.

7:00pm *** My phone rings. It’s my parents. I said to S: “That’s odd they’d call me on a Wed night.” I called my Dad back. In what I thought was a shaky voice, he tells me he needs a ride to the VA hospital, which is an hour and half from their house (almost 2 hours from me). He was having trouble with his leg and they wanted him to go to the ER and have it looked at, possibly be admitted. *Ack*

So S and I box up our food. I drop him off at my house so he can go home. I rush over to my parents’ house.

Internally, I was frantic... the unknown is a scary thing! When I got there, I relieved to see that Dad had changed into his “good” clothes (worn mostly for doctor visits, these days), and he seemed pretty “normal” (LOL, normal for him anyway). So, I felt relieved.

On the way over to my parent’s house, I called my sister and told her what was going on. She called the rest of the kids. Halfway to the hospital she calls, text messages, more text messages. She was worried.

Then I get a call from my brother who chews me out for not calling him, yet he already knew what was going on because 1) he’d talked to my Mom and 2) my sister called him. Dork.

9:00pm *** Arrive at hospital. He spent maybe... MAYBE... 30 minutes in the E.R. before they sent him to the pharmacy to antibiotics.

10:00pm *** We’re on the road home. Toward the end of the stretch, it was all I could do to stay awake. Plus, I don’t like driving at night because I can’t see very well.

12:00am *** I crawl into bed. By this time my arm is in so much pain I wasn’t sure I’d be able to fall asleep.

6:30am *** I wake up thankful that my arm isn’t hurting anymore.

8:00am *** Chiro appointment. Woo Hoo… for once it went well!

8:20am *** Traveling down the street, minding my own business when a car driving from the opposite direction barely slows down and tries to “whip” a turn into the gas station. Guess what? Hello?!? My car is *right* there. Talk about heart stopping!!! I swerved into the other lane (2 lanes there) and he slams on the brakes. I continued on to work, almost on the verge of tears. My heart was still all bundled up when I got to work and was explaining to the administrative assistant what had just happened. Yikes.

So my point to the title of this post... is that the walk-thru was a piece of cake compared to the events that followed. Glad I am that everything turned out OK, even though they were nerve racking.


Michelle-ozark crafter said...

gosh what a day!

Kathryn said...

Your events were unsettling, but you are OK! Hooray!

We have our own unsettling business. Tomorrow is the home inspection on the house we are selling. We remodeled it (with permits and a contractor) a LOT, but we haven't lived in it for over a year. Anything COULD be wrong with it. I am nervous. We already know that one of the air conditioners has a bad circuit board, but we fixed the door bell. So? We should know next week. I hope it is nothing major that could drop us out of escrow. We do have a backup offer, but it's a bit crazy and I DON'T want to deal with the crazy man who made it.

We won't be doing the walkthrough with the buyers. We may never meet them!

Deborah/LavenderRose said...

Meari, Are you sure you and I aren't mirroring? I have had such unbelievably hectic days this week...and I almost killed myself by pulling out in bold-faced traffic by being distracted today!! And, I spent half my week in chiropractic and physical therapy and psycho therapy offices!! LOL Ugh! Can we talk??

Stitchingnow said...

Wow what an eventfull two days you had. Glad all is OK though.

xsquared said...

Oh my goodness, what a day! Hope your dad will be ok, and that your arm doesn't bug you. When do you close on the house? I hope it isn't your signing arm that hurts, because I have never signed my name as many times as I did when we closed on our house LOL good luck!

Kathy Kiley said...

All's well that ends well. I guess. :) Just hope that all the worry and scary stuff is over so that moving day will dawn bright and clear and everything goes without a mishap.

Good Luck.

Anita Sorrells said...

Wow, kind of makes you glad every day isn't like that LOL. Okay so I am trying to lighten the mood! What a horribly long day, and I am glad all worked out in the end. Your dad is okay, your car is okay, you are okay, and the house is okay. So take a deep breath, wipe the tears away, and imagine yourself asleep in your bed in your OWN HOUSE!!!!!!!

glenda said...

Let's hope the weekend is much less eventful. Hope your dad's leg is feeling better with the meds.

stitcherw said...

Yikes what a day. I sure hope the rest of your week goes better and there are no more "surprises" in store for you.

rose_michelle said...

Goodness! Glad you're o.k. Hope you're dad is too. Sounds like you need a vacation!