May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day to Mom


I made this card for my Mom in honor of Mother's Day. Isn't it lovely? I stitched the rose for her. Don't all Moms deserve roses? Pink is her favorite color. Want to get on Mom's good side? Give her ANYTHING that's in a shade of pink. Guaranteed, she'll love it!

For Mom. For Mom who spent countless hours changing diapers, potty training, and cooking meals for four hungry children. To this day, all of us look forward to the holidays and going home for Mom's Japanese cooking. For Mom who taught us how to read and write. It comes as no surprise that to this day I am an excellent writer and love to read. For Mom who took our school pictures to work with her EVERY year to show off her beautiful children because she was so proud. For Mom who sat valiantly in the passenger seat while her eldest -me- learned how to drive, because Dad had enough after one trip! LOL, It's kinda funny that I drive like Dad. For Mom who "talked" with Dad after I had my first car accident, and convinced him not to kill me. For Mom who allowed us to watch the holiday cartoons, even though Dad complained we'd seen them every year for the past 6 years. So what's wrong with watching "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" for 6 years in a row? Who would've thought a petite 4'10" woman could keep 4 teenagers who were way taller than her in line? Ha, the look on her face when her youngest at age 14 realized he was also taller than her! Lucky for him, he's still her favorite. For Mom who raised 4 children to become successful adults. (OK, I guess Dad helped a little bit, too.) For everything Mom has done for us -- Happy Mother's Day!

This is my Mom. She's the one on the left in the black and white photo. Probably 19 or 20 years old then. They're standing in front of her uncle's barber shop. She worked there as a hair dresser to help support and raise her brother and sister. She was a hottie back then! It's no wonder Dad chased after her!! The color photo was taken Easter 2004. At 58 with 4 kids and 8 grandkids, she is still a hottie!

An update: I took the card along with two potted rose bushes to my mother. She was busy talking to me and opened the card. She read the inside and looked at the backside of my stitching and remarked "Ohhhh... It's SO pretty!" oblivious that it *was* the wrong side she was supposed to be looking at! LOL She closed the card and saw the front side and thought that side was really pretty too. My Dad was outside when all this happened so she recounted the story and we all had a good laugh. He said: "Well the backside looks almost as good as the front... Think of it as morning dew on the flower making it kinda blurry." *sigh* Parents.... I’ve also found out that one of my nieces is mortified that I called my mother, her grandmother, a hottie. LOL, gotta love the family!

5 comments:

Kitty said...

Wow!
I am looking for a daughter like you!!
I dont even know if my girls will think about tomorrow being mothersday :)
It is not that I really, REALLY care but it would be nice.
Especially a personal present like you made.

Anonymous said...

Meari
your mother is beautiful! Sincerely Kathy B in Ohio

Anonymous said...

Your mother is very beautiful!

Valda said...

Your mother is gorgeous!!! And what a nice tribute to her you wrote!

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»