May 30, 2006

Whew! I didn't think I was gonna make it...


Ever get to a class on the day of an exam... ready to take the test... knowing you're as prepared as you're ever going to be... Books and study guides put away. Composition notebooks passed out. Exam questions passed out. You read the first question thinking "I know this!" You start to write out the essay answer and *BLAM* your mind goes blank!! My gawd... I thought the exam was going to kill me! That sorta thing doesn't usually happen to me.

Maybe it had something to do with the instructor going on and on about how he was going to interrupt us to hear the music selection for question #2 at such and such time, and 2 minutes before that he'd tell us it was almost time, and how so-and-so was going to collect the exams cuz he had to leave early, and how cheating is not acceptable, blah, blah, blah. Shut up already!

Mind went blank. I started to freak out. Had to literally talk myself into concentrating. Not vocally, of course -- in my head. What? Do you think I want the other students to know (oops, I meant "think"... yeah "think") I'm crazy??! So after talking myself out of an anxiety attack, I started answering the essay exam. What is it with instructors and all these essay exams?!? I swear I must've used half the eraser on the first question alone. I think some of it had to do with me still trying to get past the anxiety.

Here's comes the "listening" portion of the exam. This instructor has a thing for screechy, high pitched classical music. Sorta like the same high pitched sound that comes from someone scraping their fingernails over a chalkboard (which BTW, doesn't bother me). I winced my way through the musical selection -- I'm sure the instructor saw the look on my face. Couldn't help it! Had to choose 3 musical elements and write about them in conjunction with the piece.

Onward to the remaining 3 essay questions, which were fairly easy if you studied and paid attention in class. So overall, I'm guessing I got a "B" on the exam and if I'm lucky an "A-". Now wouldn't that be fab?!?

Did I mention that shortly before class, I was sitting in the hallway studying and saw another student run by the doors outside? Oh yes... It had started to rain. I went out to close my sunroof and guess what? Good thing I did because right before class started it started to pour rain... and I mean really dump down hard! Over half the class (including the instructor) showed up drenched. LOL (Oops... that's not funny is it?) By the time the exam was over, it had stopped raining. How lucky was I?

One test down, two more to go.

0 comments: