Feb 23, 2007

Did Someone Call The Fire Dept?

We had some pretty big excitement in our city today. The entire downtown area was blocked off since early this morning. I work downtown and my office smelled of smoke all day! Here's what was in the news as of 3:30pm:

A fire at 219 W. Main Street that started at 7 a.m. this morning has spread to an adjacent building at 223 W. Main Street, said Fire Chief Friday afternoon.

Traffic was still being redirected and firefighters continued to douse the structure downtown at 2:30 p.m. The local department had several trucks at the scene and was using a water cannon fixed to the top of a ladder truck to keep the blaze under control, with a steady stream of water pouring onto the roof of the building.

Fire Chief reported no one was injured in the major downtown fire that colored the city skyline with billows of brown smoke Friday at 7 a.m.

Chief said firefighters entered the building and were immediately pushed back by intense fire, setting up a defensive position outside of the structure at 219 W. Main Street, known as Cheaters tavern. Police cordoned off the area, re-routed traffic and roped off the sidewalk from interested onlookers.

Some 30 firefighters responded to the call, setting up a large ladder truck and pouring water onto the roof of the building.

No one was in the building at the time the fire started, according to Deputy Fire Chief, but one person in the building next door was evacuated. When they arrived firefighters were already battling a backdraft in the rear of the building. And, two firefighters barely made it out the first floor entrance before for the building's stairwell and ceiling collapsed.

Fire Investigator was called to the scene, however an official determination of what started the blaze has not been determined.By 10 a.m., the fire was under control, and a large ladder truck was pouring water onto the roof of a smoldering structure.

"We can't get at the part that's still burning, it's under the roof, so we're keeping it wet," Chief said.

Neighboring buildings, Leroy's skate shop at 217 W. Main and Preferred Real Estate at 223 W. Main, were not directly involved in the blaze but may have sustained smoke and water damage.

Red Cross representatives were on hand by mid-morning, handing out donuts and coffee to morning weary firefighters.


rose_michelle said...

Wow! Sounds like they were busy fighting that fire. My brother and uncle are firefighters and have faced many backdrafts over the years. Scary stuff. Glad no one was hurt.

stitcherw said...

Scary pictures, fires spread so fast. I hope no one ended up hurt from the fire.

glenda said...

i have been seeing the ads for that new movie 23 lately.....
feb 23rd, 223 main st. 2:30 pm.
Maybe there is something to it !!

:) :) (LOL)!!!

Heidi said...

Wow that fire spread fast! Glad no one was hurt. I'd be interested to know what caused the fire when you find out. :o)

velda said...

wow that's QUITE the fire!

~Kim~ said...

Hate the fact that we need fire to heat, but hate it when it destroys!

Scary story there! My dad (who is the Fire chief), my two brothers (one is the asst chief and the other a captain), and SIL are fire fighters for the same department. Always hated to hear the pager go off to announce a fire.


Anonymous said...

Wow! thank goodness no one was seriously injured.

Cindy said...

Wow, that looks like a huge fire! I am so glad that noone was in the building!