Sep 4, 2006

Noah, Break Out the Ark! Please!!


It's been raining, and raining, and raining today. Just when one would think it has stopped, it starts to rain so some. Before long there is lightning and thunder -- Boy, did it ever BOOM! Next thing you know, pea sized hail comes bouncing down from the skies. Rain and more rain.... It's still thundering out as I write this, but the rain has subsided to a light sprinkle. Is Mother Nature just taking a break? Or is there more to come? Here's what the area around my house looked like not even 15 minutes ago:

I walked out my backdoor to see this....


I am guessing that at this point the water was at least calf level. Before I took this photo, I pulled my car forward because the back end was getting covered in water. Curious as to what the front yard looked like, I went out the front door. Here's what I saw....


Notice all the rushing water at the bottom of my driveway? Yes, that's the flow from the back yard down the driveway into the street. There's another flow coming down the hill from the right side of the photo.

These are some photos after some of the water subsided. This is the play fort that used to have a rope swing and tire swing... but the nieghbor's grandson managed to destroy them in the first two months he was here:


A tractor tire behind the garage... Notice how high the water is?


If you notice on the garage door, the "water marks"... add about 3-4" more because the garage is higher than the rest of the yard. That fact didn't spare the garage, though. At this point, the water was still above ankle deep on me. I just got done sweeping out all the water in there. I am really regretting not cleaning the garage yesterday. Everything on the floor is either ruined or wet!


Here's a view of the driveway from across the street. It had stopped raining and the flooding has subsided some....


To find some humor in this, I *just* heard on the TV that the National Weather Service has issued a severe thunderstorm warning. LOL, I think the storm has passed fellas!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better get your ark built for the next downpour.

Valda said...

Wow! That's a lot of water! Hope not too much is ruined in your garage!

Carol said...

Yikes, that sure is a lot of rain! I am glad you got your car out of the way before it took on damaging water!

Anonymous said...

Goodness gracious! That's localized flooding for you. Wow. I hope you didn't lose too much to water damage in the garage!

Carol said...

I had to double check and make sure you aren't here in VA. We had rain Wed and Thurs, then 10 inches from TS Ernesto on Friday and it's raining some more today. I feel your rain, er pain.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That's alot of water. Hope it didn't do any damage. (((Hugs)))