Aug 10, 2007

More Flood Clean Up

I went to Shopko last night and bought the last 3 see-thru 78qt bins they had (on sale). I started repacking stuff that didn't get ruined, and had been in boxes that got wet and fell apart. I probably need about 5 more. Might go back and see if they'll give me a raincheck for the sale price.

Maybe the flood was a blessing in disguise... it's forcing me to go through stuff and get rid of a lot. I discarded more stuff out of the basement. The dumpster was emptied sometime Wednesday and after last night is already 1/3 full.

Don't EVER make a 50/50 solution of bleach water! LOL, that is some strong stuff!!! My intention was to santize the basement walls and floor to kill some of the mold/mildew that apparently is growing. Thus, reducing and/or eliminating the AWFUL smell. Let me tell you... 50/50 solution is condusive to burning eyes and inflamed sinuses! I only did a few small 4x4' sections (maybe that big) and I had to high tail it outta the basement cuz I couldn't take it anymore.

Trotted on down to the basement this morning and I'll be darned if the basement STILL smells bad. *sigh* I'm thinking my efforts maybe be futile...

6 comments:

Teejay said...

If you had been wearing your sign, I could have warned you. LQTM.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Silly girl! Lucky you didn't gag yourself with that much bleach!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Oh and one more thing! Go to Wal mart and get a cleaner with enzymes in it. That stuff will eat a lot of bad odors. You can find it in the pet aisle for cleaning pet stains but it is good for so much more! Worth a try!

Margie said...

It sucks about being flooded. Up by me in Gurnee, I live far enough from the river and on high ground so we don't flood. But the pictures of the people who did looked so bad.

Marita said...

Bleach is nasty, sets off my asthma worse than anything else. Lucky you didn't do yourself some damage.

I second the suggestion of trying out the pet aisle - amazing odour eating stuff has been created for pets.

glenda said...

What about Kilz?? I know quite a few people who have used this because of basement mold.